A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Layette in Blue


My kids acquired another cousin in early January.  Due to illnesses (particularly the flu, which downed all four children like dominos over a two-week period), we just managed to go for a visit this past weekend.


To greet little baby L, I used up the last yard of some stashed cotton interlock, as well as some cotton/lycra jersey scraps, to sew up this adorable little layette.  I wanted to include a newborn gown, as I had loved them for Niko when he was a baby.


The gown is made using  Rachel's free newborn gown pattern.   It sewed up easily and quickly, and I think it's pretty adorable.  The only thing I would do differently next time, is cut the bands just a tad narrower and attach them to the right side of the neckline instead of the wrong side.  Because I have a coverstitch machine, I could still sew on the neck binding neatly without folding it on the wrong side, which would reduce bulk.  But this way works very nicely too, gave me a lovely finish and isn't too bulky at all.
 

I also made a teeny tiny peasant dress by using this free pattern from Sew Much Ado and lengthening the sleeves.  And I made some adorable footed leggings using another free pattern from the same site.  I wish I had had the leggings pattern when I was sewing for my babies; I always loved footed pants for the cooler months, and it's hard to find rtw ones that fit well over cloth diapers.  The pattern is great and looks just like the store-bought kind; I highly recommend it. The yoke you see at the top is not part of the pattern; I had to add it due to a cutting error.


To finish off the set (and the scraps), I put together a wee little headband using this tutorial from Sew Not Perfect.  This headband uses the medium-sized bow from the tutorial. This was definitely L's mama's favorite part of the set.  She said she wants five more and I think I might be able to make that happen ...


I had a great time sewing this set! Almost as much fun as I had snuggling this little nugget.


Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

4 comments:

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!